4.2 Publications /
'A+' Journal: Mythopoetics and scholarship (2014)

Date: Late 2014 (Accepted April 10th, 2014)

Title: A mythopoetic methodology: storytelling as an act of scholarship

Journal: Asia Pacifical Journal of Teacher Education

Impact factor

2010 Impact Factor: 0.644 
Ranking: 92/177 (Education & Educational Research)
© Thomson Reuters, Journal Citation Reports 2011

Abstract:

A pre-service teacher clashes with his mentor and the practicum ends badly. There’s distress and a sense of failure all round. Questions get asked. Was the pre-service teacher simply unsuited to this demanding profession? Was the teacher education inadequate? Was the mentor a good fit? Were there the right kinds of support in place? Was the school culture intolerant of new ideas, new energies?

Given concerns about an ageing workforce, beginning teacher attrition rates and healthy work environments, questions such as these require thoughtful investigation. But the issues are complex. Complexity is not an easy thing to research.

The past hundred years has seen a number of significant attempts to understand personal and social complexity, from the grand structural narratives of the psychoanalytic movement through to post-structural accounts that pay increasing attention to the apparently chaotic interplay of intersecting life trajectories, shifting identities and ordinary affects.

What methodologies nudge us deeper into perceived and experienced complexities? What ways of communicating the insights afforded by such methodologies are likely to have impact, to create affects?

In this paper, I suggest that a mythopoetic methodology (the writing of a story) plays a part in the scholarly attempt to see complexity more fully. I suggest, too, that a mythopoetic form (the telling of a story) has the potential to create useful affects.

The paper is performative rather than exclusively analytical.

© Steve Shann, all rights reserved

Comments

Dilan
23 February 2017, 5:55 AM

Thank you for your always informative posts on candida. As someone who has struggled for 3 years with recurrent infections with no diabetes (confirmed by culture), it was very frustrating to be prescribed Fluconazole http://hlthask.com/can-i-get-diflucan-over-the-counter/ because of the harshness on the liver and the side effects. Now I know the reasoning behind why it never seemed to work. Additionally, I have almost non-existent progesterone levels and low thyroid. It’s almost like clockwork- day 14 = the return of the discomfort. It probably about shocked the doc when I told him I was already making my own boric acid pessaries when he wanted to call it into the pharmacy. This was because I found you on a desperate Google search- looking for truth when there are so many people trying to make a buck off "natural" diets, supplements, and blog traffic with "expertise" on candida. You have made a real difference in my life.

umeed
28 April 2017, 6:28 AM

This seems like one really good research, would like to go in more details! I have some work from the best writing service and this would surely help me out in that. This is some really nice work, very conclusive and comprehensive!

ALI
28 May 2017, 12:50 AM

I read this article. I think You put a lot of effort to create this article. I appreciate your work. HOME AUDIT

ALI
28 May 2017, 3:06 AM

I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. upsource marketing intelligence

ALI
28 May 2017, 3:28 AM

So lot to occur over your amazing blog. Your blog procures me a fantastic transaction of enjoyable.. Salubrious lot beside the scene. Data protection

ALI
28 May 2017, 3:50 AM

The most interesting text on this interesting topic that can be found on the net ... Chauffeur Service London

ALI
31 May 2017, 7:45 AM

I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog. sporting kit bags

ALI
01 June 2017, 10:21 PM

For many people this is important, so check out my profile: Family Holidays

ALI
01 June 2017, 10:26 PM

It is rather very good, nevertheless glance at the data with this handle. Promotional Video

ALI
01 June 2017, 10:30 PM

Find the best essays on is my friend's profile page. 4x4 rentals

13 comments